Friday, September 02, 2005

Digital Music To Go - Creative Zen Micro




The Creative Zen Micro has been on the market for a number of months, but it is still one of the top mp3 players available in the market place (it's also my own personal favorite player). It comes in 9 different colors and its compatable with all of the subscription music-to-go services.

One of the best aspects of the Zen Micro is its excellent interface. You can customize the layout of your menu (which includes a cool blue glowing backlight) to list only the features that you use most regularly. The menu is navigated by touch sensitive buttons that take some getting used to, but once you become comfortable with them they are actually quite nice. Unlike the ipod, which allows you to scroll through songs in a circular motion, the Zen Micro requires you to use an up and down scrolling motion.

This player is packed with features, including a decent voice recorder for note taking and an FM radio receiver that works well when signals are strong. You can even record songs that play over the radio. The unit also syncs with Microsoft Outlook, giving you access to your contacts and calendar appointments (although the calendar is read-only). I find the contact list to be very useful because I usually always have my player with me.

Battery life for the Zen Micro is rated at 12 hours, and I have found that to be pretty accurate in my experiences. One nice feature is the removable Li-ion battery that can be replaced easily in the future. The battery is re-chargable and the unit emits a cool blue pulse when its plugged in.

Currently, the Zen Micro comes in 4GB, 5GB, and 6GB models and is reasonable priced.
The 5GB model currently retails at $199 and comes with pretty good headphones, removable battery, a belt clip, mini-USB cord, and a stand.

I would recommend this model to anyone interested in music-to-go. I have tried it out will all three services and I haven't had any problems.

No comments: